Monday, July 20, 2015

Symbolism in Fiction, or, the Elephant in the Room

Here’s a fun topic for all of you who ever had to sit through a high-school literature class: symbolism.

If you just felt a chill run down your spine, then this is the article for you. This little post is going to be the catharsis you have been longing for all these years after you were forced to interpret what the author meant when he wrote about the sunset passing over the city like a flock of birds.

As a writer, I have always scoffed at people’s attempt to force symbolism on writing that isn’t theirs. Don’t get me wrong, personal interpretation is very fine. Everyone brings a unique perspective in life that affects how they digest information, and I will see a piece of art differently from the person standing next to me based on my previous experiences and individual personality. The swell of emotions I feel when I look up at the stars on a dark night are never quite the same as the next awed individual craning their neck for a peek at eternity.

What I tend to roll my eyes at the most is when I hear someone declaring confidently that a certain writer meant something deep and intense by their words. The more obscure the connection, the better.

Even as a young student, I used to imagine that if the authors we were reading in class could sit in the back, unnoticed, and listen to our desperate attempts to please our instructor by utilizing the magical, metaphorical shovel, they would roll on the floor laughing at some of the crap we were forced to come up with.

I had a teacher once tell me that an extremely unlikeable character in a novel was a Christ-figure simply because his initials were J.C. and he died standing in water.

Very convincing. I think Spark Notes comes up with more intellectual associations.

Comic by Kate Beaton, harkavagrant.com

So here is your chance to mourn all those misused brain cells and re-claim your dignity, and you have young Bruce McAllister to thank for the redemption. Well, Bruce isn’t so young anymore. He was 16 years old in 1963 when he sent a survey to over 100 famous novelists of the time, asking them specifically if they placed symbolism in their work, consciously or unconsciously. Those that answered directly (some simply told him to do his own research and stop bothering them) often refuted the idea of conscious symbolism entirely.

The full survey has been published in a book, but here are some of my favorite responses:


Isaac Asimov: “Consciously? Heavens, no! Unconsciously? How can one avoid it?”

Norman Mailer: “I’m not sure it’s a good idea for a working novelist to concern himself too much with the technical aspects of the matter. Generally, the best symbols in a novel are those you become aware of only after you finish the work.”

Ray Bradbury: “…each story is a Rorschach Test, isn’t it? And if people find beasties and bedbugs in my ink-splotches, I cannot prevent it, can I? They will insist on seeing them, anyway, and that is their privilege. Still, I wish people, quasi-intellectuals, did not try so hard to find the man under the old maid’s bed. More often than not, as we know, he simply isn’t there… There are other things of greater value in any novel or story…humanity, character analysis, truth on other levels…Good symbolism should be as natural as breathing…and as unobtrusive.”

Richard Hughes: “Have you considered the extent to which subconscious symbol-making is part of the process of reading, quite distinct from its part in writing?” 

No comments:

Post a Comment