Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Pinch Points - Structure or Constriction?

The other day I stumbled across this article on “Pinch Points” and how they can be used as a tool to effectively structure your novel. I’d never heard of Pinch Points, so I thought I’d give it a look and learn something new.

Pinch Points are the sections of your book that squeeze the protagonist in some way, building tension and foreshadowing to the inevitable climax. They highlight the struggle that the main character is facing and set high stakes – these are the sections of the story that make your reader gasp, or jump around frantically, or if you’re really good, throw the book to the other side of the room in a bizarre one-person game of fetch.

This is a perfect example of a technique that I think most writers use instinctively, whether or not they know it has a name. And there’s no doubt about it that really great stories tend to employ Pinch Points of some kind. Everyone loves a good “OH NO” moment.


However.

By the time I got to the flow-chart illustrating where you should put your Pinch Points, I had already lost interest in the article. What mathematical algorithm was used to calculate that the prime place for a Pinch Point is exactly at 37%? Is this 37% of the word-count? 37% progress in the plot? 37% of your time and effort? Why does the first Pinch have to center around the antagonist? This technique starts to smell very arc-of-the hero-esque, and it makes my nose twitch.

There are lots of writers in the world who excel at employing more mathematical, process-oriented techniques. But as much as I love and can depend on process, I tend to be suspicious of anything that goes too far, taking creativity and cramming it into a formula.

Personally, the only reason I ever use outlines for my work is to keep me on track with where I need to go – not so that I can calculate the exact recipe for a successful story. My outlines are for my benefit, not for the readers'. If a story is moving along at its own pace, sometimes I will even throw structure to the wind and let it flow. A tale will often tell itself, despite what your original intentions for it were.

Sure, I try to organize the story in such a way so that the reader is drawn along, hungry for more; but organization will only help so much. In revisions you may change the location of specific paragraphs or revelations several times before you find the place that really ‘fits.’ It’s a subjective process and it takes a little wiggling to get it right.

Call me rebellious, but there are too many restrictions on style that this article is suggesting you adhere to.

Granted, the article is not saying that Pinch Points are the only way to write well. It is saying that they can make your life easier. So if you are already constructing outlines, it might be a good exercise to see where you are putting your Pinch Points. If you haven’t thought about it before, try to identify the sections where you are inflicting the most pressure on your protagonist. What does this tell you about the structure of your story? Is there a new place where you could apply the screws that you hadn't paid attention to previously? How effective are they in the grand scheme of things?

It's great to try new techniques and see if they work for you. As writers we are always growing and developing our craft. And if you don't like the way Pinch Points work, you don't have to use them.

If I had to sum it up, I'd put it this way:

Pinch Points! A great way to structure your story…(at least 37% of the time).

No comments:

Post a Comment